Germany is heavily favored. They have to be. Germany is going to step up a gear and, just as in QF 1, Greece is going to be facing a major class step up relative to Group A. Every one has a shot and this Germany team is not as amazing as the 2010 World Cup team. However, it is deeper and is going to be incredibly tough for anyone to beat. They have given up only one goal on a two header corner. While this is not as stone cold a lock as Portugal against the Czechs, expect Germany to win this game without much trouble.
Why Greece Will Win
- History repeats itself and they have already repeated the formula in beating Russia.
- They haven’t lost under the current coach in any meaningful match.
- They are playing for a nation that is in turmoil. They know how much this could mean for their countrymen.
Why Germany will win
- Greece has very little offense. Samaras has misfired and while Salpingidis had a great opening match, Karagounis is the only other Greek who has scored – or looks like he could score. The German midfield will not allow Greece the room that Poland afforded them. Unlike the Euro 2004 winning team, this Greek team doesn’t look an aerial threat from corners and free kicks. That leaves very few avenues through which to get the one goal lead they can cling to like the 300.
- Greece’s back line has looked very porous at left back and in the center. They choked Russia by clogging up the middle and the midfield held them at bay. That is going to be very hard against a German offense that has created numerous chances in each of their three games so far. Mario Gomez has already scored three goals and is going to be very hard for the Greeks to keep off the scoreboard.
- Germany is deep and is starting to display more speedy ball movement. While Ozil has been good, but not great, Schweinsteiger has been very good. The longer the tournament goes, the stronger both will get. That is going to bode very well for Germany. They have also won without goals from Muller. If he comes good they will be unstoppable. If he doesn’t, they have many players to go to with Goetze and Schurrle at the top of the list.
- The current draw means Germany has avoided Poland and Russia and has to get past England or Italy instead of Spain or France. They would have taken that at the start of the tournament with both hands. They can smell the final now and will not overlook the Greeks.
Pre-match prediction: Germany 2 Greece 0
Mario Gomez and Lukas Podolski will score for Germany.